Sam,

The register_globals can be dangerous to turn on but it really depends on the quality of code that the shopping cart was written. See Examples below for explanation.

Say you had a script that looked like this.

<?PHP

$Q = "Select * from Stored CreditCards where User='$User'";
..... Retrive info from DB
..... Charge Credit Card
..... Do Other Stuff.

?>

With register_globals = on the I could do the following to the URL and force the systsem to bill someone else.

chargecredit.php?User=Joe

Basically if register_globals = off protects you from that type of URL hacking.

It just depends on how it is written and how thought out the shopping cart script is.

Hope this helped.

Jonathan Pitcher