More safe mode questions:

I'm using the standard binary distribution of PHP on Mac OS X -- the one managed by Marc Liyanage, not the one that ships with OS X -- and can't seem to get safe mode working. I can turn it on and it doesn't generate any errors, but it doesn't restrict access to files as it should either. If I do a phpinfo(), I can see that the safe_mode variable is set to On, but I don't see anything in the compiler directives at the top about it, whereas there is an --enable-safe-mode item in the compiler directives on my Web hosting company's PHP installation (though safe_mode is set to Off there).

Does anyone know if safe_mode works in this binary OS X install of PHP? Do I need to compile my own?

Thanks,
--Dave