On February 20, 2003 08:13 pm, Jason Sheets wrote:
> MAC addresses are used for on a LAN and not the Internet.  Using a
> MAC address might work for identification on a LAN BUT in most
> operating systems you can easily change the effective MAC address
> on the card.

Good call.  I thought there was some fundemental problem I just
couldn't remember enough from my networking class to put my finger on
it.

> It would probably be better to look for some other form of
> identification like SSL certificates or a cookie with the secure
> bit on so it will only be sent over an SSL connection.

Yeah I'm not super concerned about security and such, this is only a
personal page so something simple will do the job.  I think I'll just
end up hacking together my own encryption algorithm and then storing
encrypted passwords in a cookie.
Hehe.  Security through obscurity, everyones favorite way :)

Thanks,
Leo