Yes, I have noticed some performance issues as well, but we need to nail
it down better before we can start really going after this.  Could we call
on the collective masses of php-general users to run some benchmark tests?

Just build yourselves a libphp4.so for both 4.2.x and 4.3.x and switch the
LoadModule line back and forth to benchmark the two versions.  Then use
something like http_load (http://www.acme.com/software/http_load/) to
check various simple scripts.  We need to figure out if this is an
across-the-board performance problem or if it is one particular aspect
which has slowed down.

-Rasmus