Not to be nosey or anything but "usually" session data will always be saved
or not. How come one would want to check to see if is was or not.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ernest E Vogelsinger [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Monday, February 24, 2003 7:49 AM
To: Mr Percival
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [PHP] session_start

At 13:36 24.02.2003, Mr Percival said:
--------------------[snip]--------------------
>So how do I check if the session write failed?
>
>I thought perhaps
>
>if(session_id() == ""){
>       echo "error";
>}
>
>but if all session_start does is basically assign a session ID then
>session_id will never be empty even when the write fails.
--------------------[snip]--------------------

You can't check since session write happens _after_ the execution of your
script. You could check if ini_get('session.save_path') is writable, or if
you are able to create a temp file with some contents on it, but that won't
tell you exactly if session writing will be successful - too many different
parameters:
- what will the size of your session file be?
- after your check, how many session files will be written by other
instances until it's your turn?
- the complete disk usage may change, since you're in a multi-user
multi-session environment...

Better: make a check if there's enough space left on the session.save_path,
on a regular basis (hint: cron job). Make this job either send you an
email, or delete orphaned session files (generate a listing and walk it by
last access date).

--
   >O     Ernest E. Vogelsinger
   (\)    ICQ #13394035