Ok, by looking at my cron logs it looks like cron is trying to run my
PHP CLI script.  However, it is not running it.  I only have one line of
code that isn't commented out and the line simply sends me an email
using the PHP mail() function.

Tom suggested that maybe the script is running, but cron may simply not
be able to send email VIA the PHP function.  I am not sure whether or
not this may be true, all I know is that I can't run any PHP script from
cron.  The only reason I am trying to have cron send me an email is to
check to see if cron was running my PHP script.  My script is for batch
order processing and it hasn't been processing my orders.  After
immediately realizing this I added the mail() function to see if the
script was running.  I got no email.  I then eliminated the script down
to just the mail() function be commenting out my batch order processing
code.  It still didn't run.

Here is my cron log:

Mar  3 09:05:00 prod /usr/sbin/cron[3124]: (user) CMD
(/path/to/cron_script.file)

Mar  3 09:06:00 prod /usr/sbin/cron[3134]: (user) CMD
(/path/to/cron_script.file)

Mar  3 09:07:00 prod /usr/sbin/cron[3141]: (user) CMD
(/path/to/cron_script.file)

Mar  3 09:08:00 prod /usr/sbin/cron[3148]: (user) CMD
(/path/to/cron_script.file)

I have tried running this as "user" and as "root".  I get the same
results with both.  Again, my PHP script runs fine if I run it by hand
from the command line via ./cron_script.file  Anymore help on this issue
would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Hi,

JMC> Tom,

JMC> Did you run the script from cron?  If so, what operating system are
you
JMC> using?  Putting PHP info in my script won't do me any good since
cron
JMC> won't run it.  The trouble is that cron does nothing.  When I run
the
JMC> email script I get no mail.  If I run the script from the command
line
JMC> by hand ./script_name etc it works fine.

JMC> Any other ideas would be great.

JMC> Thanks

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

JMC> Hi,

JMC> Monday, March 3, 2003, 6:33:46 AM, you wrote:
JMC>> Does anyone have a PHP CLI script running from cron?

JMC>> If so I would greatly appreciate any assistance.  Below is
JMC> everything
JMC>> from this on going problem.  It seems none has an answer so far.

JMC>> Please help.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

JMC>> I tried to run the script directly from cron like:

JMC>> * * * * * /usr/local/bin/php -q /path/to/cron/script/file_name

JMC>> I also tried to run cron in the bash environment by writing a bash
JMC>> script that calls my PHP script.  I set cron you call the bash
JMC> script
JMC>> every minute. The bash script contained the following information:

JMC>> ================================ START SCRIPT
JMC>> =============================
JMC>> #!/usr/local/bin/bash
JMC>> /path/to/PHP/script/file_name
JMC>> ================================= END SCRIPT
JMC>> ==============================

JMC>> If I run the bash script from the command line it definitely runs
JMC> my PHP
JMC>> script. I know this because my PHP script sends me an email.

JMC>> Also, if I run my PHP script from the command line it also runs
JMC> fine and
JMC>> I receive an email.  However, anytime I try to run PHP script or
JMC> the
JMC>> bash script from cron nothing happens.  I get no emails.  I also
JMC> know
JMC>> cron is working properly because a regular bash script as I listed
JMC> in my
JMC>> earlier posting works fine.

JMC>> This is using the new CLI that come with PHP 4.3 I have in past
JMC> versions
JMC>> of used the CGI from cron with no problems at all.  As a matter of
JMC> fact
JMC>> I have another server that does all its maintenance via PHP
scripts
JMC> that
JMC>> get ran by cron

JMC>> Here is the PHP CLI cron script I am testing to see if cron will
JMC> run my
JMC>> PHP

JMC>> ================================ START SCRIPT
JMC>> =============================
JMC>> #!/usr/local/bin/php -q
JMC>> <?

JMC>> mail("[EMAIL PROTECTED]","Message From cron",date("F j, Y @ h:i
JMC> a"));

?>>>
JMC>> ================================= END SCRIPT
JMC>> ==============================

JMC>> Any more suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

JMC>> Justin

I ran it from cron as root on linux (crux linux)
are you sure it is not running? It maybe that it won't email from
cron.
just look in /var/log/cron if it exists and see if it at least is
trying to run the script

--
regards,
Tom