Have you actually enabled the MySQL extension?  You should have a line in
your php.ini that says:

  extension=mysql.so

By the way, the Apache that comes with RH8 when combined with PHP does not
give you a production-quality solution.  So if you are running this thing
for any sort of important service, you really need to upgrade your web
server to Apache 1.3.27.

-Rasmus