Mike --

...and then SpyProductions Support Team said...
%
% Does PHP use less system resources than CGI on a server?

Now that we know that by 'CGI' you mean 'perl' we're at least getting
*somewhere*.  We don't really know what you mean, though, so I''ll see if
I can fill out the truth table for you.

In general, a mod_* version will be faster and lighter than a CGI version
(yes, you can have PHP as a CGI as well).  In general, php and perl are
about on the same footing; both can be heavyweights but certainly don't
have to be.

             perl            php
       +--------------+--------------+
       |    approx    |    approx    |
       | some amount  | some amount  |
  mod  | of resources | of resources |
       |       X      |       Y      |
       +--------------+--------------+
       |  something   |  something   |
       |    more      |    more      |
  CGI  |    than      |    than      |
       |      X       |      Y       |
       +--------------+--------------+

You'll probably find that X and Y are about the same.  Your choice of
column doesn't matter one way or another.  Which row you use is the
kicker.

%
% I have a bulletin board which is incredibly active, but there is a PHP
% sister to it.

The real question becomes "how are you running the perl version and,
figuring that's as a CGI, would you rather switch languages or just
modules?".

%
% Thanks,
%
% -Mike

HTH & HAND

:-D
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED] * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"