Ernest, et al --

...and then Ernest E Vogelsinger said...
%
% At 10:44 06.03.2003, David T-G said:
% --------------------[snip]--------------------
% >...and then Leif K-Brooks said...
% >%
% >% print "$i :: {$manilist[$i][0]}\n";
% >Aha! Perfect. Here I'd been trying such things with the leading $ on
% >the *outside* of the braces.
% --------------------[snip]--------------------
%
% Try to see it this way: $manilist[$i][0] is a PHP expression, thus needs to
% be put in curly braces _as_a_whole_ within a string.

Right.  What I hadn't seen before is that

  $manilist[$i]

is NOT evaluated like

  {$manilist}[$i]

but as

  {$manilist[$i]}

and so that's why I was putting the $ outside the {}.  Some things about
php aren't quite as perl-ish as others :-)

Thanks & HAND

:-D
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED] * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"