We've all seen this - in fact Yahoo Groups uses it to join its groups
now.  You are registering for something and are presented with a
graphic with a combo of letters and numbers, sometimes at weird angles
and diff. fonts and you have to type in exactly what you see and it
has to match.

Kicking this out with a random call to MySQL is how I'm doing it; but
probably doing it badly with the only method which has come clear to
me in verifying it -

I have a database table with these fields:  ID, value, and filename.
The ID is the autoincrement primary key to identify the image, the
value is the actual letters and numbers (string) which appears on the
image.  So when the form is submitted, I have a hidden field (which is
what scares me) that carries that particular images ID with it to
query up the value.  Are you with me?

I don't like having the hidden field because it isn't hidden at all if
the user views the source, of course, and I'm wondering what more
secure way I could do this verification without this huge security
snafu.  Someone will probably tell me and I'll bang my head against my
desk saying duh, so I'll go get my helmet...

Thanks...

Marian

Community email addresses:
  Post message: php-list@yahoogroups.com