I'm looking for ideas for code I can put in my Joomla template to place a
separate banner image at the top of my page for each menu item users select.

For example:

For Home --> IMAGE 1
For About Us --> IMAGE 2
For FAQ's --> IMAGE 3
etc.

Any coding ideas to implement this?  My preference is to hard code this into my
template, vs. a module item -- unless someone has a module that will do this.

I have this, but can't tag individual menu items without ending up with parse
errors:

$imagename="main_pic.jpg";

if($option=='' || $option=='com_frontpage')
{
    $height = 'height="294"';
    $main_pic = "images/home/".$imagename;
}