----- Original Message -----
From: listgroups08
----- Original Message -----
From: "Pete"

I am having problems writing a file (in fact, it's a Google sitemap) to
a site.

I know that it has something to do with permissions and owners.  But how
can I see what the settings are for this file?  And what "owner" will
PHP be known as?

--
Pete Clark

------------------------------------
Hi Pete,

<big snip>

Sorry got the permissions wrong!

It should have read - .....

So if a script needs to create an read files there are two real options -

1) If the script runs as the account owner then the file has to at least
have permission's 600 and the folder that contains the folder needs at least
300.

2) If the script runs as the 'default www user' then the file needs at least
606 and the folder needs at least 303.

In reality you are not so concerned with owner access restrictions so these
permission's would translate to -

600 => 700
300 => 700
606 => 706
303 => 703

In general, the 'group' access is set to the same as the 'owner' access but
this is not a good thing if you are on a shared server and have things like
credit card numbers in files. The only time the 'group' access needs to be
anything other than 0 is when you are using 'basic auth' protocol or you
have subusers with FTP accounts.

<another big snip>

Shortcut URL to this page: