[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> The new question!
>
> I am running WAMP 2.0 (the latest version) as a development environment on
> windows XP and I am very
> happy with it but now there is one problem.
>
> How do I get Basic Auth to work on WAMP just the same way Basic Auth runs on
> my Linux based servers?
>
> All seems to be ok in XP but the encripted strings that are used in .htaccess
> or passwd files do not
> work with the same passwords that are used in the Linux environment.
>
> I am quite happy to use a different encryption algorithm in the development
> environment and then to
> swap algorithms when a site goes online but I don't know what algorithm to
> use on a windows based
> server (not IIS - still Apache).
>
> Another possibility may be to get Apache to store passwords in plain text.
> This would be fine in a
> development environment. Is this possible? And if so How do I confure it so?
>
> Thanks.

20081111 0859 GMT-5

http://us3.php.net/features.http-auth

Did you read this page at php?

One of the things I really dislike is moving back and forth from Windows
to Linux for the exact problem you are facing now. The security that is
available on Linux naturally is missing in Windows.

I read an article in Linux Magazine that (and I cant remember the exact
details here) said to use mysql and encrypt your passwords there. You
have a username and password file - the username is plain text the
passwords are encrypted.

Wade
--
Registered Linux User: #480675