Hannes Magnusson wrote:
I hate bootstrap also. But again. Please read the report and start
blaming random things Lester.

I am currently TRYING to look at the website from my XP test machine. The basic layout is switched much as it would be for a 'small screen' with everything stacked on top of one another. When I try and do anything I get a pop-up about the long running script. If I switch to getbootstrap.com I get a similar problem. If you read the release notes for BS3, support for IE7 is specifically excluded.

Trying wiki.php.net from IE7 is even more painful :(

I'm not blaming random things ... while the php.net css says '2.3.2' it is behaving as '3.0' and switching the getbootstrap.com back to 2.3.2 is not showing the same problems? I'm sure this is the area that needs further investigation. It was the area I got into before giving up from my own sites.

Doing a little deeper digging I find html5.js but it's not clear from php.net just which version of html5shiv is being used. It needs to be the right one for the version of bootstrap, and this is the area which I think is causing all the problems. Debugging with firebug is a heck of a lot easier than debugging in IE7 and this is why I dropped bootstrap and switched to an html5.js setup which seems to be more stable. I don't want to have to waste time fixing that area, it should just work? While my own sites on IE7 are not perfect ( the ones that NEED to be are running older code! ) they are usable. php.net needs substantial work to be usable in IE7, and simply fixing a script problem is not going to make much difference. The recommended solution currently is 'use another browser' as I don't think it's worth the time involved? :( This is why I maintain old versions of sites running so I don't have to spend time on things that are not essentially broken.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL