Hannes Magnusson wrote:
On Sun, Jan 12, 2014 at 1:45 AM, Lester Caine <les...@lsces.co.uk> wrote:
Hannes Magnusson wrote:

Forgive my idiocity, but this screen scraping is for your own pet
project and has nothing to do with either the bug report you are
working on or any other php.net services?

There are a number of bugs related to the poor performance of google when
searching the whole website. I do not believe this can be fixed by asking
google to do better, what is needed is a set of search results that we can
control ourselves. This is very much to do with reported bugs and currently
unusable site facilities!

That seems like a workaround. A huge workaround.
We need the transparency you are talking about and solve this issue at the core.
Imagine the thousands of websites that don't support searching because
of this issue with Google?

Have you contacted google and tried to get involved with this matter?
I mean, they seem to be able to create a website that works in all
browsers, the problem is just their search which is so bad.

Maybe the problem is that Google doesn't know how to search the
website since its using Bootstrap3?
I don't know how to contact their support team.. Could you look into it?

This is nothing to do with the style of the site. It's been a problem for a while, which was discussed some years back and providing our own index was on the table 'when the website is redeveloped!' Unfortunately it would seem some of the suggested improvements never made it to the current style change?

Google changes it's result ordering based on commercial decisions and while thousands of companies will offer to get you in the 'top ten' that is not going to be reliable unless you simply pay google? So we have to work within the guidelines google lay down currently.

site:XXX is the main filter we are reliant on, and as far as I am aware there is no means of including more than one domain name in a search, so we can search on svn.php.net or php.net/manual/en/ and both of these will produce english results, but not at the same time. So we can't currently do a search on say mysqli:: across all areas of the website, although a simple google search on "mysqli::" "php.net" does a better job than the current whole site search but includes third party sites. Even logged into google and set up for 'english' I still get content from other areas of php.net in other languages :(

The reliance on google to provide whole site search needs to be designed in from day one, and most multilingual sites who are using google simply have a single domain name and follow that with a language selector ... php.net/en/ would work perfectly but I don't see any way that can be achieved? It would be followed up by php.net/en/svn/ and the like? This is what google expects to happen so why would they change the rules for just one site?

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL