Hey,

in recent days I've started noticing Google serving the wrong page for
specific functions in the search results. It served me the german and
portuguese versions of page when I was clearly searching in english with a
browser that's set to english. I think this could be helped by implementing
hreflang across php.net:

https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/189077?hl=en

because of how the php.net structure works, I think this could actually be
quite simple for large groups of pages, for instance, this page:

http://us2.php.net/manual/en/function.version-compare.php

would have hreflang tags like this, the first one being self referencing:

<link rel="alternate" hreflang="en" href="
http://php.net/manual/en/function.version-compare.php"; />
<link rel="alternate" hreflang="pt-BR" href="
http://php.net/manual/pt_BR/function.version-compare.php"; />
<link rel="alternate" hreflang="es" href="
http://php.net/manual/es/function.version-compare.php"; />
<link rel="alternate" hreflang="de" href="
http://php.net/manual/de/function.version-compare.php"; />

(Leaving out the us2. subdomain so people would redirect to their
appropriate servers)

etc.

You could also add a redirector URL like this:

<link rel="alternate" hreflang="x-default" href="
http://php.net/manual/function.version-compare.php"; />

Which Google would then send people to if it didn't know what the correct
language for that person is.

Would be happy to provide help / more info if needed!

Best
Joost

--
Joost de Valk