On Thu, Oct 22, 2015 at 11:22 PM, Adam Harvey <ahar...@php.net> wrote:

> Per a Twitter report, searching Google for "PHP" right now returns (as
> result 2, annoyingly enough, behind W3Schools) https://www.php.net/ as
> the php.net result, which (expectedly) doesn't work due to an SSL
> protocol error.
>
> Anyone have any ideas on the best fix here? I'm too far out of the SEO
> game nowadays to know if there's a handy tool to fix this.

Doing a reverse in-bound check
<https://www.google.com/search?q=site%3Aphp.net+inurl%3Ahttps>, it seems
that https://www.php.net at one time worked (per the cache), and Google
latched on to that. This is reinforced by the fact that many (all?) sub
domains are https covered: bugs, wiki, etc.

So, IMO the best SEO "fix" is to support https, because Google prefers
https sites <https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/139066?hl=en>
and gives
a minor boost
<http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2014/08/https-as-ranking-signal.html>
to them.

Otherwise, there are a few approaches...
1. Wait.
<http://googlewebmastercentral.blogspot.com/2010/05/url-removal-explained-part-iv-tracking.html>
 Google crawlers will eventually drop URL repeatedly throwing 404 and
similar.
2. Redirect.
<http://webmasters.stackexchange.com/questions/42860/https-search-results-appearing-on-google-for-purely-http-site>
 Setup a 301 redirect from https to http pages.
3. Canonicalize. <https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/139066>
 Hook the pages to Google Webmaster and set the canonical URL to
http://php.net

bishop