On Mon, 27 Jun 2022, 18:24 Christoph M. Becker, <cmbecke...@gmx.de> wrote:

> On 27.06.2022 at 18:26, Andreas Möller wrote:
>
> > README.md (see https://github.com/php/web-php#code-requirements <
> https://github.com/php/web-php#code-requirements>) suggests that the
> production environment is currently running PHP 7.2.
> >
> > I have three questions:
> >
> > - What are the reasons for running PHP 7.2 in production when PHP 7.2
> has been unsupported since November 30, 2021?
>
> I'm not sure which version is actually running on that Webserver
> (apparently, it is not listed on <https://wiki.php.net/systems>; or
> maybe it's php-web2.php.net, but that has a different IP).
>
> > - What needs to be done to run PHP 8.1 in production instead?
>
> We need to make sure that the code is compatible with PHP 8.1.
>
> > - When can we do it?
>
> As soon as the code has been verified to run on that PHP version, and we
> find someone who has access to and is willing to update the machine.
> Especially the latter may be hard.

I know the php-web code very well, as I was involved in the last
modernization effort.

The PHP upgrade challenge here will be around use of GLOBAL vars, variable
variables and other silly things that we stripped out in 8.x.

It can be done, but likely only safely in small bits, with backwards
compatibility in kind.

The days we have rectorphp to scan the codebase for incompatibilities,
which might be worth a shout, just to assess the damage.

Happy to chat or advise on approach if someone is up for tackling it.