> > Absolutely logical. That way we need to take the language
> > codes inside the files. :) That was part of my standard file name
> > proposal. What do you think about other versions (html.gz, tar.gz,
> > palm formats, etc.) They should also be in distributions/manual
> > and not in /manual/$lang/filename_without_lang_code according to
> > this scheme. I hope so :)
>
>     Yes, please.  Let's fix this -- we have 87 redirect
>     directives in the server right now because of this historical
>     mess. :)
>
>     Regarding the language code, I'd place it into the filename,
>     because some people might want to use multiple language
>     packages and it would be quite confusing, if they had to
>     manually rename the package files to do that (or even
>     duplicate our directory structure).

Then not only we need to move every docs to distributions/manual,
because it would mess up that dir. We need to make subdirs with
formats or languages, eg:

  /distributions/manual/pdf
                       /html
                       /chm
                       /palm

Or:

  /distributions/manual/en
                       /de
                       /fr
                       /hu

Also qouting my last letter about this subject, titled
Manual naming conventions (Jul 26 2001):

There was a thread some months ago, about making a naming
convention of the manual packages.

Now look at the names:

manual.txt.gz
bigmanual.html.gz
manual.tar.gz
manual.tar.bz2
manual.zip
manual.pdf
manual_doc.pdb
manual_isilo.pdb
manual.chm

There is no convention in these names. With palm formats,
we use _, for the txt version we use ., for the big html
version, we use bigmanual.... Etc.

We should include that

 - this is the PHP manual
 - what format it is
 - what language it is

Maybe eg:

php_manual_en_txt.gz
php_manual_en_bightml.gz
php_manual_en_html.tar.gz
php_manual_en_html.tar.bz2
php_manual_en_html.zip
php_manual_en_doc.pdb
php_manual_en_isilo.pdb
php_manual_en_pdf.gz
php_manual_en_pdf.bz2
php_manual_en_pdf.zip
php_manual_en.chm

Note, that we will host ziped versions
of the PDF docs, because of the huge sizes
(see the letter of Jouni about this subj).

We need to make a convention, as there will
be more formats (now the three pdf compressions).

So this is not just a matter of moving the files.
Now it is time, to be consistent with the manual package
file names.

Goba