Egon:
> I would see a space. The formatted function prototypes have already a
> space between function name and opening parenthesis. With the space the
> code is more readable.

The first can be changed, though I can come into your second point:
better readable. In the case of a prototype, I must agree that it is
better readable with a space. However, in code I prefer the PEAR-way.

Since I prototype is such a different thing than a real-life function call,
I think it doesn't matter too much that it isn't the 'right' way.

Different point, in prototypes I sometimes see the proto:

<return_type> function(void).
Why not simply
<return_type> function().

That looks way more logical to me, also keeping in mind that void is really
a keyword that has no meaning in PHP, and PHP-programmers won't (need to)
know it (unless they know it from some other language)

Greetz,
Jeroen