On 2002-6-01 16:50, Hartmut Holzgraefe wrote:
> Egon Schmid wrote:
> > The rules in English are the following:
> >
> > See also func1 and func2.
> > See also func1, func2, and func3.
> > See also func1, func2, func3, and func4.
>
> that what the university of Chicago manual of style says,
> but otoh the university of Montana style guide says
>
>     Omit the comma between the last two items in a series unless
>     needed for clarity: "John, Mona and Sharon came to my party"
>
>    ( http://www.umt.edu/urelations/style/apxa.htm )
>
> most native speakers i asked also prefered the second form ...
>
> does anyone have a *definitive* answer on this topic?

  Both forms are perfectly acceptable. I also prefer the second form
  but use of the first form is probably more sensible. Proper use of
  the second form can require subtle understanding of English, while the
  first form is correct (if somewhat formal) in all cases.

--
Zak Greant

PHP Quality Assurance Team
http://qa.php.net/

"We must be the change we wish to see." - M. K. Ghandi