ID:               16387
 Updated by:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Reported By:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-Bug Type:         Session related
+Bug Type:         Documentation problem
-Operating System: Linux RH 7.2
+Operating System: ANY
-PHP Version:      4.0.6
+PHP Version:      PHP4
 New Comment:

I'll make this a documentation problem for now.
Even if we made PHP not to crash with reference, there is no feasible
way to restore reference to other variable.

If anyone documented the issue, please change category back to Session
Related and keep this report open. PHP should warn if user uses
reference in session vars.

[2002-04-02 05:47:41] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

It's known issue.
Reference does not work well with session variable...

[2002-04-02 05:29:01] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hello, I don't know if it is really a bug, but it display nothing in
error log and it is very anoying.

I create an object 'order' and an object 'customer'. The order object
has a customer object inside. To avoid duplicate in session I tried the
following code when the customer login and have already started to
order:

$current_order->customer = &$current_customer;

After this, PHP display the current page well, but any next page fail
to display. Nothing apear in error_log. On a personal log system I can
see that PHP is starting to loop on the page juste after the session is
initialized and when the line

session_register('current_customer');

is called. PHP hang after about 20 loops.

After reading in detail the way session are working, I understand
better that my code is a little bit dangerous (use reference in
session), but PHP should return an error or display anything when it
face this king of code and not enter in an invisible loop.

Cedric.

Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=16387&edit=1