ID:               16771
 Updated by:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Reported By:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Bug Type:         Documentation problem
 Operating System: Linux 2.2.x (Debian)
 PHP Version:      4.0CVS-2002-04-23
 New Comment:

That's probably because of the process's umask. Try:

posix_mkfifo('./FORK_FIFO', 0666);
chmod('./FORK_FIFO', 0666);

[2002-04-23 18:17:21] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This is a user error. First, only the mode without the quotes INCLUDING
the leading zero (because it actually needs to be octal). Second, the
actual permission the fifo gets created under also depends on your
umask (which is likely to be something like 0022). If you change your
umask to 0000 and use 0666 it will work.

I'll reclassify this as a documentation problem because it's not really
documented.

[2002-04-23 18:01:13] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Partially true (I tried it without the quotes before I updated from cvs
today):

posix_mkfifo('./FORK_FIFO', 666);
now gives:
prw-r--r--    1 sean     sean            0 Apr 23 18:00 FORK_FIFO

better, but still not correct.

[2002-04-23 17:58:03] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This is a usage error. You need to remove the quotes from around 0666.

[2002-04-23 17:47:49] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

posix_mkfifo('./FORK_FIFO', '0666'); // read&write by everyone

yeilds:
p-w---x--T    1 sean     sean            0 Apr 23 17:47 FORK_FIFO

?

it SHOULD yeild:
prw-rw-rw-

The only way for me to get rw, it seems, is with '900', which gives:
prw----r-T    1 sean     sean            0 Apr 23 17:48 FORK_FIFO

(note: I don't even know what T is..)
It's messed up, to say the least.

Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=16771&edit=1