ID:               11220
 Updated by:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Reported By:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Bug Type:         Documentation problem
 Operating System: SuSE Linux 7.0 / 7.1
 PHP Version:      4.0.5
 New Comment:

It's not our problem/job what values to use. There are *tons* of oracle
documentation out there. Oracle is not a kiddy database, so people
should read the books. Closing.

[2001-06-01 15:59:34] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

The current documentation does mention all
these environment vars that should be used,
but doesn't have any examples/information what
to set as the values.

[2001-06-01 02:45:38] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Just found somebody to do the job on the server. Following
is the solution:

export ORA_NLS33=$ORACLE_HOME/ocommon/nls/admin/data

of course, after setting all the other environment
variables, especially ORACLE_HOME ;)

So you may now a) consider this bug closed and b) add this
solution to the dox/faq. I will go look at the online dox
if I can add a "user comment" meanwhile ;)

Again, thank you for your fast help and solution!

Izzy.

[2001-06-01 02:15:36] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Other than I wrote in my mail (in-reply-to your comment),
it appears that the setting of ORA_NLS33 *before* NLS_LANG
brings the "Lock" down - at least I can connect to the
database with it (which I couldn't without). But since I
have no necessary permission to set those vars in the
Apache startup script (missing the root login to that
server ;) I can't tell now wether it really *solves* the
problem, since I only can use putenv() for testing here
(the setting with putenv() seems to have no effect, I
still get the "old" default settings by "SELECT
USERENV('LANGUAGE') FROM dual". As soon as I can check
that with the server admin I will do - and report it here
then.
Thanx for your help so far!
Izzy.

[2001-05-31 18:21:04] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

As you are from Germany you might understand this better:

http://www.php-center.de/faq/faq-database_oracle.html

I'm not 100% sure it has the answer..but seems like it. :)
Please let us know if it does so some of it could
be added to our manual.

--Jani

[2001-05-31 13:50:42] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Having problems to insert special chars (as German Umlaute
like "äöü") into oracle using oci8 functions. Tried to set
NLS_LANG=GERMAN_GERMANY.WE8ISO8859P15 (as we use for all
other applications here), but then I am not even able to
connect to the database any more.
I saw some other bugs similiar to this one, some closed
but still unsolved - I hope I have more luck with an
answer helping me to solve my problem. Since I'm already
asked a couple of times to migrate to Java... No answer
will be a bad answer :)
If special settings (like php.ini or configure line) are
relevant, please let me know - so I'll supply them.
Thanx
Izzy.

Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=11220&edit=1