ID:               18816
 Updated by:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Reported By:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Bug Type:         Documentation problem
 Operating System: Linux, Tru64
 PHP Version:      4CVS-2002-08-08
 New Comment:

All functions that requrie unsigned int may be affected.

BTW, PostgreSQL OID is free from this restriction, since I changed
source to use string if value is larger than 2^31. So postgreSQL
document can be left as is.

[2002-08-08 17:01:31] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reopened this. This should definitly be documented! On ip2long
documentation it is, on crc32 it is not. Which other functions are
affected by this?

[2002-08-08 16:23:55] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Thank you for taking the time to write to us, but this is not
a bug. Please double-check the documentation available at
http://www.php.net/manual/ and the instructions on how to report
a bug at http://bugs.php.net/how-to-report.php

Thank you for taking the time to write to us, but this is not
a bug. Please double-check the documentation available at
http://www.php.net/manual/ and the instructions on how to report
a bug at http://bugs.php.net/how-to-report.php

This is because you are using 2 different architectures, on X86 (AMD
k6) ints are 32 bit, but on Compaq Tru64 (ALpha EV68) they are 64 bit.
Since PHP uses signed ints you got a negative number on X86 where
signed ints are limited to 2147483647 and your result is >3 billion.

If you explicitly tell PHP to output an unsigned number it will work
correctly.

printf("%u", ip2long('192.168.0.1'));
-----
3232235521

Same logic applies to your crc, example.

[2002-08-08 16:09:58] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Ahh... Please note that I may not be reachable in the next days for
questions, but you may use http://www.testdrive.compaq.com/ to verify
this

[2002-08-08 16:08:45] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Following Script produces this output:

  $ip = "192.168.0.1";

  echo("$ip\n");
  echo(ip2long($ip));
----
On Debian/i386 (AMD K6):

192.168.0.1
-1062731775
----
On Compaq Tru64 (ALpha EV68):
192.168.0.1
3232235521

===========================================================================================================

Following Script produces this output:

  $text = "Der schnelle braune Fuchs springt über den blöden Hund.";

  echo "$text\n";
  echo(crc32($text));

----
On Debian/i386 (AMD K6):

Der schnelle braune Fuchs springt über den blöden Hund.
-2050320634
----
On Compaq Tru64 (Alpha EV68):
Der schnelle braune Fuchs springt über den blöden Hund.
1367081892