ID:          10374
 Updated by:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Reported By: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Bug Type:    Documentation problem
 PHP Version: 4.0.4pl1
 New Comment:

Sorry, but the bug system is not the appropriate forum for asking
support questions. Your problem does not imply a bug in PHP itself.
For a list of more appropriate places to ask for help using PHP,
please visit http://www.php.net/support.php

Thank you for your interest in PHP.

There are no set dates or release numbers for when legacy function will
be removed. As far as I know PHP4 still supports many functions that
were marked as legacy back in 3.X days.
If/When a function will be removed be assured it will be noted in the
release notes for that version.

[2001-04-18 03:39:37] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

There are features/functions that are depreciated or going to be
depreciated.
It is nice to see what is depreciated and is going to be depreciated in
the PHP Manual. (Although, there is "Migrating from ...." section. List
of them would be nice and some of them is not docuemented. There aren't
many as far as I know especially after 4.0.0.)

I guess depreciated feature/function/etc are not on the manual, but it
hard to tell w/o document if they are just not documented or
depreciated and deleted.

It would be also nice to encourage/discourage use of
feature/function/etc for current/future release.

Examples are:
 - accessing string as array and modify string as array
 - <?php_track_vars?> (It's in NEWS and user could know it's
depreciated, though)
 - set_nonblock()
 - Assoc array index without quote. For example,
$str = "This is $arr[element] and you will NOT see warning with E_ALL
and this works";
 - track_vars always on for 4.0.3(It's in NEWS, though)
 - magic_quote = off in php.ini for 4.1?