ID:               19210
 Updated by:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Reported By:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Bug Type:         Documentation problem
 Operating System: RedHat 7.2/Linux 2.4.9
 PHP Version:      4.1.2
 New Comment:

This bug has been fixed in CVS.

In case this was a PHP problem, snapshots of the sources are packaged
every three hours; this change will be in the next snapshot. You can
grab the snapshot at http://snaps.php.net/.

In case this was a documentation problem, the fix will show up soon at
http://www.php.net/manual/.

In case this was a PHP.net website problem, the change will show
up on the PHP.net site and on the mirror sites in short time.

Thank you for the report, and for helping us make PHP better.

[2002-09-03 15:47:21] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

reclassified..

[2002-09-03 14:24:06] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This is apparently resolved in 4.2.2.  However, the layout of the
return array from read_exif_data has significantly changed, so I'm
going to have to rewrite my code.  In particular, there is no array
element named 'Comments' which was present in 4.1.2 (and I can find no
mention of this change in the ChangeLog or a footnote in the current
online documentation).

In fact, the additional parameters do not even work in PHP < 4.2.  So
you have to code

$exif = @read_exif_data ($image, 0, true);
if (!isset($exif) || empty($exif)) {
   // Fall back to PHP 4.1 read_exif_data()
   $exif = read_exif_data ($image);
}

Someplace, a footnote to this effect would be nice.  Should I open a
documentation bug?

[2002-09-03 13:15:59] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Please try using this CVS snapshot:

  http://snaps.php.net/php4-latest.tar.gz

For Windows:

  http://snaps.php.net/win32/php4-win32-latest.zip

[2002-09-03 12:12:42] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I should have posted a small test sample.  I'm putting one up on my web
site at http://www.astrofoto.org/people/roland/bug.php.  The image
being probed can be loaded from the URL
http://www.astrofoto.org/people/roland/20020716-1.05.jpg

[2002-09-03 12:05:51] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have a JPEG (*not* from a digital camera) to which I have added a
comment block using wrjpegcom.  rdjepgcom confirms that the comment is
correct in the file.  The length of the comment is about 345
characters.

When I read the comment back from PHP using read_exif_data, the length
is truncated at 198 characters.  Note that JPEG comment blocks can be
up to 64k(!).  The comment in question is all text, no ASCII nulls, so
I'm assuming this truncation is happening inside PHP.