In the documentation it states:

As of PHP 4.3.0, if you have compiled in OpenSSL support, you may prefix
the hostname with either 'ssl://' or 'tls://' to use an SSL or TLS
client connection over TCP/IP to connect to the remote host.

However, I can not find a copy of PHP 4.3.0 anywhere. Is this a typo?
Should it read 4.0.3? Anyhow, I'm trying to establish a secure
connection to authorized.net via socket for a Credit Card approval.
Can't seem to get things working using port 443 and the 'ssl://'
protocol syntax as the documentation suggests. An I doing it wrong or is
the documentation predicting the future?

Great work on PHP!
Thanks,
Brian Weil