 Updated by:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Reported By:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Bug Type:         Documentation problem
 Operating System: Red Hat Linux 7.2
 PHP Version:      4.2.3
 New Comment:

from:
http://www.php.net/manual/en/print/configuration.php#ini.auto-prepend-file

"Specifies the name of a file that is automatically parsed before the
main file. The file is included as if it was called with the include()
function,..."

i think it is clear enough that there is no special
cacheing or optimization done on auto_prepend?

[2002-09-30 04:29:21] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

ooops .... wrong window ... reopening

[2002-09-30 04:28:19] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

from: http://www.php.net/manual/en/features.http-auth.php

"The HTTP Authentication hooks in PHP are only available when it is
running as an Apache module and is hence not available in the CGI
version."

[2002-09-29 07:50:59] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I am not sure, but I have been told that the php/ini directive
auto_pre/append cause a disk read of the pre/appended file for every
PHP script that is called even if PHP is used as an Apache module.

If this is true could you add it to the documentation on those two
php.ini directives.

The reason I needed to know was that it would have been efficient for
me to define() very large strings that I use in almost all my scripts
as constants and have a string_constants.inc file auto-prepended if PHP
kept the file in memory and didn't do a disk read for every php script
invocation.

But since it doesn't (I am told) then my idea is not feasible :(

Thanks!