ID:               16687
 Updated by:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Reported By:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Bug Type:         Documentation problem
 Operating System: Red Hat Linux 7.1
 PHP Version:      4.2.0
 New Comment:

The feature of inability to use autoglobals / superglobals as variable
variables is now documented in two places.  The variable variables page
and the superglobals page.

[2002-04-20 04:07:41] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Superglobals are named autoglobals or "auto global"s in many cases.
Because you need not use "global" to make it global... I personaly
think that superglobal is a better name for them (as used by Rasmus
first AFAIK), so I use this name.

--
Goba

[2002-04-19 21:01:49] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

By design ? hehe

Ok, I *think* it was not 'by design', I think this just turned out to
be the way it is after it has been implemented.  I don't think while
writing the code and was kept in mind 'no, we do not want them not to
be accessible in functions with variable variables'.

Ok, so much. Versions of PHP has already been released, so we should
document it.

Btw, goba, using the search on php.net I couldn't find a single page
refering to the super globals ... ? (I haven't yet browser through the
manual index as I tend to find that annyoing)

[2002-04-19 15:17:41] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have already reported this problem, but nothing happened.
Superglobals seemed to be accessible with variable variables in the
global scope, but not in any local scope (inside a function). Derick
told me, that it is by design, but IMHO this is incosistent, and quite
ugly :((

--
Goba

[2002-04-19 14:53:51] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Reclassified.

It should be documented that due the special way super globals are
treated the cannot be used with variable variables.

[2002-04-19 12:40:50] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

True true. Derick (or someone else) mind briefly explaining why this
is/has to be different?

    http://bugs.php.net/16687

--
Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=16687&edit=1