ID:               19622
 Updated by:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Reported By:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Bug Type:         Documentation problem
 Operating System: n/a
 PHP Version:      4.2.3
 New Comment:

Step by steps for each backend?  The point of ODBC is that knowledge of
each backend isn't required and that the ODBC Drivers can and should
handle the specific of each database.  This leaves you with only worry
about how you (the developer) want to deal with the data returned.  If
you want specific database knowledge, please read the manual pages for
each database.

I do agree with 1 and 2 and believe 2 has been answered.  The Unified
part isn't going to go away anytime soon though as I understand it.

3 is a little misleading, in the sense that the driver managers (iODBC
and unixODBC) all support many more devices.

4 and 5 though won't be happening anytime soon.

[2003-01-02 15:37:54] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This is absolutely a documentation problem.

[2002-09-26 14:31:57] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

sorry all.. i should have reviewed my comments more carefully before
sending (wish i could edit the original comments here)..

where i said,

> for sybase. i finally figured out how to do this with linux (after 2

i meant:

> for sybase. i finally figured out how to do this with **interbase**
(after 2

[2002-09-26 14:15:11] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

hi.. i wanted to thank you all for the hard work on the documentation..
i know it's probably really hard to keep up with all the changes and
the like. i would also like to thank you for the 'content-management'
style of running the site, where users can make additions/comments to
the manual pages. this is VERY helpful! something i always wanted in
web sites, and you have made it a reality. those comments are GOLD!!!
so thanks.

i was wondering whether i might be helpful in adding in some thoughts
for future versions of the manual/docs? even with the manual as it is,
i still had many problems setting up my php (on redhat 7.3 linux) to
connect to our (remote) interbase server. there just are so little
docs, and the page on

1) on http://www.php.net/manual/en/ in section IV (Function Reference)
it took me the longest time to find the ODBC functions. for a while i
didn't even think they were listed there -- thought it was a mistake of
ommission. so i'd click on any other database function and then once on
*that* page, i'd use the menu on the LHS which *did* have a simple
entry to 'ODBC'. finally, after a few days of doing it this way, i
decided (bone-headed that i am) late to try searching through the
document and found "Unified ODBC functions".. there all the time.

i can see why it was titled this way, but i had been searching (rather
tunnel-vision-ously) for "ODBC functions" and never found them. so it's
such a little thing, but i think under "Unified", it's sort of
"hidden"..

2) also, under same section, since every item has the word "function"
at the end, and the section does have "Function" in the title
("Function Reference"), might it clean things up a bit and make them
easier to scan/find to remove the trailing "functions" from every item
in that section?

3) on http://www.php.net/manual/en/ref.odbc.php where it says, "The
following databases are supported by the Unified ODBC functions:",
since interbase works (but is not documented, really), should
interbase(http://www.borland.com/interbase) maybe be added?

4) i did find getting a php-interbase connection quite a struggle, so
when i did get it up and running, i put a page up on php.faqts:

http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/18951/fid/679

but it really would be nice if included in future versions of the
manual, we had examples of step-by-step setup for each db back-end
(assuming the db server is already set up)..

in my case, i just needed to get the client libraries, but couldn't
figure out how to get them. there was a page (i can't find right now)
on your site referring to compile-time options, but i also figured out
(myself) that i might be able to use ODBC. but i couldn't find anything
on odbc and linux on the web site.

however, there is a faq on database issues at
http://www.php.net/manual/en/faq.databases.php which does address as
part of its first question how to get *client only* libraries for free
for sybase. i finally figured out how to do this with linux (after 2
days of searching) and it would be nice to have a similar pointer to
each of the others, as well..

5) i would have benefited from ODBC examples tailored to each system
(when usage varies, as it does with interbase, and apparently, from the
comments, with MS SQL Server). again, i added such a page to php
faqts:

http://www.faqts.com/knowledge_base/view.phtml/aid/18988

but in future versions of the manual it might be nice to work these
types of things in..

anyway, i hope these help in any way.. if not, then file13 'em.. and
once again, thank you..

oh yeah, one more suggestion, on this page
(http://bugs.php.net/report.php) itself: i do only have php-4.1.2-7
from redhat, but it is telling me i need to select a valid PHP
version.. but i am making a website suggestion.. it would be nice if
this option did not appear (or at very least were not required) when
making a web request.. i finally ended up lying and putting a new
version.. :) :)