While I'm......*grossly* against the /e switch (or eval()s in general) at
all (and its use with tainted sources even moreso), I realize my whinning
and moaning isn't going to change the fact /e and eval() exist and are used.
But here's a thought...

How about a /E switch to preg_replace which would function like /e except
that it temporarily enables safe_mode.  Similarly eval() could be extended
with a second parameter that does the same.  I realize safe_mode is
generally intended for sysadmins to protect themselves from malicious
content authors, but why not use this functionality at the content level to
protect from malicious clients?

There *might* be a need to have an eval.* version of the safe_mode ini
options to specify how much is (dis)allowed when in eval-safe_mode.  I
havn't thought through the implications of doing this, but it seems worth
exploring.

-Pollita

Cross-Posting to php-dev