Why our own tag for see also would be better?

 - 98% [approx] of see alsos are not that exoticaly worded, as you
   have done in your example
 - with our own tags, no translation would be needed for this part
 - there will be an ability to automatically recognize see also parts,
   which can seriously help in presentation, and automatic discovery
   [eg. we can check what parts are better connected in the manual,
   and what needs more attention]

i remember that we have thought about it before (when someone insisted that in english a comma is needed before the 'and' here ...) ...

and AFAIR there are DocBook tags for lists or enumerations that we
could use with setting a special role attribute ... i even did some
experimental stuff with this back then but somehow this got lost
on the way ...

i'll try to remember what i did back then ...

As far as I can remember, it was some bloated XML syntax [ie. too much markup]. But let is come up again, we have this on the docmeeting agenda :)

Goba