On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 16:12, Gabor Hojtsy wrote:

> >>  - Hartmut's function list script collection should be extended
> >>    to handle PECL extensions and PECL version numbers, since this
> >>    script collection generates the version information you have
> >>    problems with. The most complicated part will probably be
> >>    the handling of bundled extensions, since corresponding PECL
> >>    / PHP version numbers need to be known...
> >
> > Is that really an issue? I can see the point in knowing the version
> > which came with the a php release, but for a function itself, the only
> > important information is the version of the extension. Since a
> > PECL-Extension can be updated regardless if there used to be a bundled
> > one, i don't see that as a really big problem. It's rather a nice to
> > know thing imho.
>
> Think about *windows users*: if you set up PHP 5 on windows, it will not
> help you if you see on the Tidy documentation page that some functions
> are useable in version 1.1. Hey, you have just installed PHP 5... You
> would like to know if you can use it with the PHP you installed or not...

I can see your point but you still don't know if the "admin" did enable
that extension or not, so you do have to check anyway. There's hardly
any difference in checking if the extension actually IS enabled or to
verify its version.

I do see the point in your comment though and i'm not trying to say it's
a bad idea.. just nothing we must focus on in the first place.

Regards,
 Arne
--
Arne Blankerts <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>