On Wednesday 07 July 2004 19:13, Nuno Lopes wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Steph is right! There is no consensus. I've found a trully oficial way to
> install PHP windows :-) at:
> http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;323962

After a quick review: that seems o.k but only for the installer package. As
for the zip they say read install.txt ....;-(

> I think we should discuss this issue with the internals' mailling list, so
> that we could find an oficial way. (there might be some bugs in PHP because
> Jakub's installation can find libmysql.dll in the PHP folder and mine
> can't).

AFAIR  the win32 guys,  Edin and Frank had some good solutions, no?

> And apart of this, we might need to have two different install
> instructions...

Yes, one basic, quick to setup, working for newbies. They will install one
version with one webserver. If we are able to provide this, also working with
gtk, fine.

One advanced for setting up multiple versions of php with multiple webservers.

In an ideal world, the installer package should handle this, including most
common webservers (iis, apache1/2, xitami, sambar.....). But I am afraid this
will not happen soon, if ever.

Beside that, someone could have a look at xampp for windows,
www.apachefriends.org, how they deal with the installation.

The next step, in my ideal world, would be to give detailed instructions how
to _upgrade_ php. But that is another story.

Friedhelm

p.s.:  next week I can probably spent some time for testing the different
suggestions on win2k AS ;-) Beside that it would be great to have the various
install suggestions in one central place (wiki, summary in phpdoc cvs....)

--
http://www.jungle-world.com/