Does phpdoc have any test system to validate the output, so this test
on <!DOCTYPE headers can be added?

GH> This is completeley unrelated, since we are talking about the extended GH> chm (htmlhelp folder in phpdoc, not the chm folder).

_very_ confusing
Then what does this chm/ folder for?  Shouldn't it be deleted?

We host/build two CHM versions in paralell. The CHM versions downloadable from php.net and built for multiple languages are built with DSSSL and with the tools in the phpdoc/chm folder. The extended CHM (also downloadable from php.net, but only in English) is built with XSLT and with the tools in the phpdoc/htmlhelp folder. There are README files in both folders for those, who get confused :)

Goba