-<!ENTITY listendand ', and'>
+<!ENTITY listendand ' and'>

When breaking taboos what about removing this entity and use just See also function_1(), function_2(), function_3(). I think it's nice enough and simpler for updating.

This entity was introduced for the contributor list, which is the very same file in all languages, and it is not allowed to have a translated version of that. Therefore it is not advisable to remove this entity, or the 'and at the end of lists' will not be present or will not be translateable in the contributor list.

According to the new doc style, this entity is no longer
used for this...at least in new documentation.

Looks like this:

   <simplelist>
   </simplelist>

Contributors list, it is used in the contributors list. I only intended it to be used there, since there is no better way to write complete sentences without that entity.

  http://cvs.php.net/co.php/phpdoc/en/contributors.xml

Goba