ID:               33810
 Comment by:       richard dot quadling at bandvulc dot co dot uk
 Reported By:      php at karsites dot net
 Bug Type:         Documentation problem
 Operating System: Linux
 PHP Version:      Irrelevant
 New Comment:

http://www.karsites.net/KAR/websites/pub/computing/php/functions/core/

[2005-07-22 13:43:12] php at karsites dot net

Hi - I've been through the PHP manual, version 2005-07-06
(Copyright © 1997-2005 the PHP Documentation Group)

and identified what appears to be a number of 'core
functions'. By core functions, I take it these are always
available, and cannot be removed using compile options.

Please correct me if this is not the case.

I have grouped these core functions together at;

http://localhost/KAR/websites/pub/computing/php/functions/core/

and produced a core function 'quick-reference', in the
relevant directory, that may be of interest.

Regards - Keith Roberts

[2005-07-21 22:30:07] php at karsites dot net

By core PHP I mean the following type of function groups.

XXXVIII. Filesystem Functions

--snip--

Installation

There is no installation needed to use these functions;
they are part of the PHP core.

XXXI. Error Handling and Logging Functions

Introduction

--snip--

These are functions dealing with error handling and
logging. They allow you to define your own error handling
rules, as well as modify the way the errors can be logged.
This allows you to change and enhance error reporting to
suit your needs.

Requirements

No external libraries are needed to build this extension.

Installation

There is no installation needed to use these functions;
they are part of the PHP core.

What I mean is the core PHP functions that the <PHP
developers> consider as 'essential PHP functions', normally
included and compiled into PHP, could be mentioned
seperately in the PHP manual.

If other parties distributing PHP want to leave these core
components out of their distros, then that is up to them.

HTH - Keith Roberts

[2005-07-21 20:38:22] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Most of the PHP users have some provider having a custom PHP setup with
some additional extensions given and some configuration options
tightened. It is important for our manual to be general, so that you
don't need to think like: "ok, my provider has this extension, is it
core or not?"

We are aware of this issue, and have an extension categorization item
on our todo list, as well as an item to allow people to download
customized manuals for their own needs, so we are not putting our heads
in the sand, it is just that there is no such thing as core PHP, since
the different hosting providers configure it differently.

[2005-07-21 20:31:43] php at karsites dot net

It it possible to split the PHP function reference into
'core' extensions, and 'external' extensions. including
those in PECL?

I think this would make it alot easier for people to
identify the functions that are part of th core PHP
language - ie built-in to PHP directly.

Keith Roberts

Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=33810&edit=1