> Is better to use reference which is most suitable for our templates.
> DocBook evolves and it might be ok to stick with old edition if only
> templates were stable, but templates change and along with new features
> from new DocBook standard there are a lot of bugfixes. In other words if
> we use new templates we need to use a reference that describes them best.

I hear you. I'm not trying to start a fight (-:
The problem with "most suitable for our templates" is that we have at
least 3 sets of templates: dsssl, xsl, and livedocs.

I think we should choose a solid, official reference, and use that (and
mention it in the howto).

The reference you've been using seems to be:
"Version 2.0.12 is a “work in progress”. It purports to document DocBook
V4.4 with the EBNF, HTML Forms, MathML, and SVG modules. As it is being
actively updated, it may be inconsistent in some areas."

While I've been using:
"Version 1.0.3 is an online version of the first edition of the book. It
documents DocBook V3.1."

Like I said: I don't care which, so long as we're using the same. My
choice was based on "work in progress" which scares me, from a reference
standpoint.