ID:               32728
 Updated by:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Reported By:      holliwell at gmx dot net
 Bug Type:         Documentation problem
 Operating System: windows
 PHP Version:      Irrelevant
 Assigned To:      nlopess
 New Comment:

No it's too vague, at least for me ;-)
<quote>
and Visual Studio (6 or .Net), either
a free (sdk, whatever) or a commercial version.
</quote>
So, what is whatever? What do I need to build *php5*? Commercial vc6,
Vc7, or is there a possibility to build with a free one, and if so what
tools/free sdk's are required?

Another quote from the online version:
"To compile and build PHP you need a Microsoft Development Environment.
Microsoft Visual C++ 6.0 is recommended, although .NET versions will
also work."
Is vc6 sufficient to build php5 with the new build system?

Don't get me wrong, but I think this sort of questions should be clear
from the requirements section.
Answers for this questions are not covered by the current requirement
section.
Thanks
Friedhelm

[2005-10-04 21:04:04] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

isn't
http://php.net/install.windows.building#install.windows.building.requirement
enough??
you only need a windows system :) and Visual Studio (6 or .Net), either
a free (sdk, whatever) or a commercial version.

[2005-10-04 13:28:21] holliwell at gmx dot net

Nuno, thanks for putting that together.
It would be helpful, to have a section about requirements which answers
the question: "What tools/software/updates/ etc. do I need to build php5
with the new build system?"
I remember, Wez has posted requirements some time ago to internals.
A requirements section would be definitly helpful.
Friedhelm

[2005-09-25 12:30:42] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I think everything is now documented.
Please read it (after the next manual build) and let me know of any
errors/omissions.

[2005-04-16 17:58:34] holliwell at gmx dot net

The "new" configure-like build system for win32 is not covered by the
docs.
I think we need detailed documentation about how to build php from
source on win32.
Important, as of php5 the supplied .dsp-Files for VC6 are not well
maintainded.

Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=32728&edit=1