ID:               36847
 User updated by:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Reported By:      [EMAIL PROTECTED]
-Bug Type:         Scripting Engine problem
+Bug Type:         Documentation problem
 Operating System: fc3
 PHP Version:      5CVS-2006-03-24 (snap)
 Assigned To:      dmitry
 New Comment:

OK, nice, that explains the difference to php4.
unset($res) is not sufficient ... obviously,

<?php
class test
{
    var $backtrace            = null;
    function test()
    {
        $this->backtrace = debug_backtrace();
        unset($this->backtrace[0]['object']);
    }
}
set_time_limit(0);
for($i = 0; $i <= 500000; $i++) {
    $ret = &new test();
    unset($ret);
}
?>

does not break anymore.

However, this circular reference is due to the new 'object' returned by
debug_backtrace() which is not documented.
It merits a *big* warning.

Also, it had been nice to be able to do it by __destruct() , but it's
not called by unset() ...

I report back to pear , thanks !

[2006-04-12 11:58:42] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Backtrace information that is returned from debug_backtrace() contains
reference to $this object. So this examle creates circular data
structure.

PHP cannot free circular structures at runtime and does free them on
request shutdown.

So this bug is the same as bug #33595 (recursive references leak
memory).

[2006-03-26 06:09:54] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

This not the same situation as #33487
Here, it's not a question of local variable within a method.
And we actually unset the created object.
If I do the same with $this->backtrace = str_pad(' ', 2300); then the
memory is not eaten up.
This occurs only if debug_backtrace() result is affected to a property
of the test object.

[2006-03-26 01:03:57] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Duplicate of bug #33487.

[2006-03-24 16:56:03] [EMAIL PROTECTED]