ID:               37486
 Updated by:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Reported By:      brianm-phpbugs at dealnews dot com
 Bug Type:         Documentation problem
 Operating System: Linux
 PHP Version:      Irrelevant
 New Comment:

We need a script to check all of php-src (and PECL) for what functions
may emits errors, and document accordingly. E_STRICT and E_WARNING
especially. In fact, it should check return types too. And compare
prototypes. Sounds like a large task so we can simply add E_STRICT info
to strftime() for now :)

[2006-05-18 04:00:11] brianm-phpbugs at dealnews dot com

------------
Enabling E_STRICT and using strtotime() yields this error:

Strict Standards: strftime() [function.strftime]: It is not safe to
rely on the system's timezone settings. Please use the date.timezone
setting, the TZ environment variable or the date_default_timezone_set()
function. We selected 'America/Chicago' for 'CDT/-5.0/DST' instead in
/www/dev.phorum/phorum5-dev/include/format_functions.php on line 157

However, the docs at http://us3.php.net/function.strftime/ make no
mention of this.  I believe if you are going to throw warnings for
things in E_STRICT, it should at least be documented.

Reproduce code:
use strtotime() without setting a timezone in php.ini

Expected result:
Documentation would have headed this warning.

Actual result:
No docs about this being a possible problem.

Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=37486&edit=1