I'm a book editor (Apress), and this subject often comes up. While many technical writing style guides shun the use of contractions, I think the perception of being too informal or confusing to non-native English speakers is rather outdated, and believe contractions improve readability because the lack thereof results in a somewhat robotic flow.

Jason