ID:               35432
 Updated by:       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Reported By:      mail at philipp-wagner dot com
 Bug Type:         Documentation problem
 Operating System: SuSE Linux 8.0
 PHP Version:      5CVS-2005-11-27 (snap)
 Assigned To:      dbs
 New Comment:

already fixed in the manual.

[2006-01-30 20:27:35] mail at philipp-wagner dot com

But where's the point of having an example configure line in the docs
(and the one I quoted is exactly from the docs) which does not work the
way it is written there? Sure, the user will know what he has to change
after he tried it, but why document it wrong in the first place?

[2006-01-30 20:17:02] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I'm sorry, but we cannot document every possible combination of
configure options.

If you do use "./configure --with-zlib --enable-pdo=shared", the
configure script in PHP 5.1.2 returns the following message:

configure: error:
You've configured extension pdo_sqlite to build statically,
but it depends on extension pdo, which you've configured to
build shared. You either need to build pdo_sqlite shared or
build pdo statically for the build to be successful.

Between the statement in the documentation that "if you build PDO as a
shared extension, you must build the PDO drivers as shared extensions"
and the extremely helpful configure error messages, users will be able
to figure this out.

[2006-01-30 20:01:20] mail at philipp-wagner dot com

I am really sorry to have to reopen that bug, but it's still not really
clear from the documentation what the problem exactly is. You suggest
building PDO as
./configure --with-zlib --enable-pdo=shared
That's not enough! You have to build at least also sqlite as shared
lib, with only these arguments, make will fail!

[2006-01-16 02:03:01] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I have added a note to the PDO installation section for Unix, stating
that if PDO is built as a shared extension, all PDO drivers must be
built as shared extensions.

[2006-01-14 17:23:56] mail at philipp-wagner dot com

It's a documentation problem, as it seems that there's no way to let
the configure script correct the options for you. Unfortunately, the
documentation hasn't been updated up to now, so you won't find any
advice until you search the bug database.

    http://bugs.php.net/35432

--
Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=35432&edit=1