Hello,

On 10/21/06, Friedhelm Betz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Pierre wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 10/21/06, Friedhelm Betz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> Pierre wrote:
>>
>> [...]
>> >
>> > PEAR 1.4.0 or earlier, available in all recent (and supported) PHP
>> > releases. The installation of the pecl command is done by the installer
>> > (gopear or with php releases).
>>
>> The question form my POV and maybe our users remain:
>>
>> Installed with php-release:
>> pecl-command is available as of PHP x.x.x?
>> "in all recent (and supported) PHP releases" is a vague term.
>>
>> There must be a PHP Version we can name, where pecl-command is installed
>> first time, no?
>> We should offer this piece of info to our readers :-)
>
> No idea,  5.1.0?

Anyone?

> However, it is more important to introduce the notion of *installer*
> and package versions and not only php versions.

I agree completly, that it is important to introduce the notion of
*installer* version.

But I didn't get the part about "more important". More important than what?

More important than the first PHP release having pear 1.4.0. A user
reading "require PEAR-1.4.0 or earlier (check it with pear -V)" will
simply run pear -V, no matter if it uses php 5.0, 5.1, or 4.4.

Don't get me wrong:
but imagine someone is reading the docs, how to install a pecl-extension
as outlined, fires up her terminal, types "pecl install
<pecl-extension>" and pecl-command is not available? No hint in the
docs, thats bad, whats going on ;-)
Wchich steps should she take to get the required pecl-command or maybe
she can still use pear install...  ?

if PEAR is already installed but is too old, point to the pear manual
orfaq, the short explanation being:

pear upgrade pear
then
pecl instal foo

She can still install a pecl package with pear using this command:

pear install pecl/pear

But the recommended way is to use the pecl command. For example if the
extension is already loaded by PHP, it is possible that the .so/dll
cannot be replaced.

--Pierre