On 11/02/2006 02:02 PM, Nick Gorham wrote:
Hi,

I have looked through the archive, and can't find anything on the subject, So I hope this is the correct place to ask the question.

On the Unified ODBC doc page, there is a note at the top that indicates that iODBC is the way to use ODBC via PHP. The problem with this (IMHO), is that it seems to be suggesting that iODBC is the only way. Of course unixODBC is still supported in the build, and last time I looked that was what most linux distribs came with.

True, the note below seems to be missing unixODBC:
---
Note: There is no ODBC involved when connecting to the above databases. The functions that you use to speak natively to them just happen to share the same names and syntax as the ODBC functions. The exception to this is iODBC.
---

AFAIU unixODBC should be mentioned here too, as one of the "exceptions".

I have just had a user, causing himeself all sorts of problems, as he decided he needed to rebuild his copy of PHP because it was supplied built with unixODBC, and he needed to change to iODBC. That wasn't his problem at all, it was actually a permissions problem.

Hopefully you can see my point though?

Thanks.

--
Wbr, Antony Dovgal