ID:               36705
 Comment by:       chris at vault5 dot com
 Reported By:      alisencer at gmail dot com
 Bug Type:         Documentation problem
 Operating System: FreeBSD
 PHP Version:      5.1.2
 New Comment:

This bug is filed against FreeBSD but it is certainly not limited to
that OS.

Using the Microsoft IIS FastCGI ISAPI extension this issue occurs on
IIS, too.

[2006-05-03 18:37:20] phpbugs at thequod dot de

As far as I remember from looking around because of the
already mentioned "bogus" bug
http://bugs.php.net/bug.php?id=33225:

The CGI spec says that there should only be one Status
header.

In my humble opinion, PHP should take care of sending only
one status header.

In the case of "Location:" any existing one should get
overwritten and not added.

[2006-04-22 07:57:34] bryan at b1t5 dot com

The most effective workaround is to just edit mod_fastcgi.c
------------------------------------
if (strcasecmp(name, "Status") == 0) {
            int statusValue = strtol(value, NULL, 10);

            if (hasStatus) {
                /* comment out the braindead line below */
                /* goto DuplicateNotAllowed;            */
            }
            if (statusValue < 0) {
                fr->parseHeader = SCAN_CGI_BAD_HEADER;
                return ap_psprintf(r->pool, "invalid Status '%s'",
value);
            }
            hasStatus = TRUE;
            r->status = statusValue;
            r->status_line = ap_pstrdup(r->pool, value);
            continue;
        }
------------------------------------
apache doesn't care how many times you set r->status. Set it once,
twice, 500 times even -- it doesn't matter cuz r is just a struct you
fill up before calling ap_send_http_header(r)

[2006-03-13 03:55:42] judas dot iscariote at gmail dot com

as an effective workaround to this problem, you can use PEAR
HTTP_Header class.

hint : method sendStatusCode()

[2006-03-12 19:39:18] ali dot sencer at gmail dot com

> and we can't do anything about Apache changing its behaviour.

I hadn't considered that, sorry. And thank you for taking the time.

> Why don't you just send the appropriate status header with
> the header() call?

The issue is, we send a Status: 200 very early to override the 404
(from the error-handler). After that the code branches in many
different ways, and plugins and extensions sometimes make changes to
(i.e. replace) the Status-code as well. Given that in some situations
we need to use a Location-header, we now have to make sure that nobody
has ever used "Status: " before.
So, yeah we can workaround this, but the situation as it is, is
everything but intuitive. I guess we'll have to make do....

[2006-03-12 19:02:26] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I can't find a single evidence that a "Status:" header is treated
differently than any other header in PHP versions 4.3, 4.4 and 5.1 --
and we can't do anything about Apache changing its behaviour.

Why don't you just send the appropriate status header with the header()
call?

header("Location: uri", 1, 301);

    http://bugs.php.net/36705

--