ID:               31418
 Comment by:       harvey at engineer dot com
 Reported By:      sam dot boles at acfb dot org
 Bug Type:         Documentation problem
 Operating System: Windows 2000
 PHP Version:      5.0.3
 New Comment:

Look in your ini file to set up quotes to work the way you want them
to.  Also check the setting for 'magic-quotes'.

[2005-01-31 22:28:10] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

No feedback was provided. The bug is being suspended because
we assume that you are no longer experiencing the problem.
If this is not the case and you are able to provide the
information that was requested earlier, please do so and
change the status of the bug back to "Open". Thank you.

[2005-01-07 09:13:21] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

> I saw several web posts mentioning trouble with this very
> issue.

Can you please give us links to these posts? There can be some clue to
understand this problem.

[2005-01-06 19:23:45] sam dot boles at acfb dot org

The code listed is simple because I was taking this one step at a time.
 I wanted to be sure I could attach to the DB before writing more
complex code to actually do anything.  I did not want to put in the
work at a full application until I knew that the motor would turn over,
so to speak.

Here is the course of the issue, as it evolved:

I installed MySQl several months ago (upgraded to 4.1.7 when that was
released) and have been using it via ASP using ODBC and also through
the native MySQL clients successfully.  However, for portability
reasons, want to migrate to the PHP scripting language and use the
built in mySQL (or mySQLi) functions rather than ODBC.  So I installed
Apache 2.0 and PHP 5.0.3 to gain this advantage.

However, what I found was that every attempt to do even the simplest
things with mySQL via PHP were stymied by the fact that the function
would not connect to the server--threw the 1045 error.

I tried several solutions--including updating the mysqllib.dll and
modifying php.ini, my.ini and Apache configurations.  I tried setting
the MySQL server to use only Old Passwords.  None of this had any
affect on the ability of the script to even connect with the server.
Essentially, I tried every solution mentioned in various forums and
help documents found on the PHP, MySQL and other sites.

I finally found one example online that used single quotes rather than
double quotes on the function arguments.  When I tried using this
syntax, PHP connected and continues to function correctly.  All queries
issued using this connection format work perfectly.  Double quotes throw
the error.

I'm sure that it must be something odd about my setup here, but since I
saw several web posts mentioning trouble with this very issue, wanted to
put it out as a tip for something others could try if they are having
similar issues.

And I do use variables and escape sequences in strings.  What I meant
(sorry I wasn't clear) is that there is nothing in the strings that
comprise the actual username "root" or password "hoo25boy" (not the
real password) that were formatted like escape sequences or variables
and that could have been misinterpreted somehow by the PHP or MySQL
engines.

I agree this is very very odd.  A simple change like going from

$mysqli = new mysqli("host_name","user_name",
"password", "database");

$mysqli = new mysqli('host_name','user_name',
'password', 'database');

shouldn't have affected this--but in test after test here it does.

Thanks.

[2005-01-06 09:36:39] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

I can't believe that this is caused by any difference between ' and ".
Is your code really so simple? Don't you use any variables or escape
sequences inside strings?

Are you using new passwords or old in MySQL? You can check this by
"SELECT Password FROM mysql.user WHERE Host = 'localhost' AND User =
'root'". If the password begin with * it's new otherwise it's old.
MySQL extension doesn't work with new passwords (but with different
error message), MySQLi does.

[2005-01-05 21:07:07] sam dot boles at acfb dot org

Host is localhost
username is root
password does not contain '\' or '"'--strictly alphanumeric
don't know if this makes any difference, but in the versions that don't
work, when the error message prints, it puts both the username and
hostname in single quotes

such as:
Error 1045:Access denied for user 'root'@'localhost' (using
password:YES)