ID:          40377
 Updated by:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]
 Reported By: burg1 at gmx dot net
 Bug Type:    Documentation problem
 PHP Version: Irrelevant
 New Comment:

This bug has been fixed in the documentation's XML sources. Since the
online and downloadable versions of the documentation need some time
to get updated, we would like to ask you to be a bit patient.

Thank you for the report, and for helping us make our documentation
better.

"For SELECT, SHOW, DESCRIBE, EXPLAIN and other statements returning
resultset, ..."

[2007-02-06 23:05:19] burg1 at gmx dot net

Sorry for the original post - I've just noticed that this feature is
already implemented ;-)

So this feature request transforms into a documentation problem:

mysql_query() doesn't only return a resource for SELECT, SHOW, DESCRIBE
or EXPLAIN commands (as stated in the docs), but also for other types of
commands which return an output - at least for ANALYZE TABLE and
OPTIMIZE TABLE (don't know if there exist other MySQL commands like
this)

Code to check:
$result = mysql_query("ANALYZE TABLE tablename");
print_r (mysql_fetch_row($result));

[2007-02-06 21:21:13] burg1 at gmx dot net

------------
Currently, the mysql_query() function returns a resource only on some
commands (SELECT, SHOW, DESCRIBE or EXPLAIN). On any other command, it
just returns TRUE.

My suggestion: Let the function return the actual MySQL output on those
"other commands" (I'm talking about commands like ANALYZE TABLE that do
generate an output). Could be given as an associative array, or if
that's not possible, just as a string.

This way, mysql_query would return:
*) a resource on SELECT, SHOW, DESCRIBE or EXPLAIN
*) an array/string on commands that give an output (OPTIMIZE TABLE,
etc.)
*) TRUE on commands that don't give an output (DELETE, etc.)
*) FALSE on error

Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=40377&edit=1