ID:              41895
 User updated by: phpbugs at localpin dot com
 Reported By:     phpbugs at localpin dot com
 Bug Type:        Documentation problem
 PHP Version:     Irrelevant
 New Comment:

The problem with the documentation is not that the information does not
exist; the problem is that it is not presented in as clear a way as
possible.

[2007-08-16 12:50:27] [EMAIL PROTECTED]

"print $foo" is mentioned in the example of __toString().

[2007-07-04 15:32:05] phpbugs at localpin dot com

------------
State explicitly in it's own bullet that "print $myObject" breaks in
5.2.

Reproduce code:
---------------
On the Backward Incompatible Changes page
(http://be.php.net/manual/en/migration52.incompatible.php), it is not
obvious to someone having a problem with "print $myObject" having broken
that the solution lies in the section about "__toString()".

I think it would be worth stating as a separate bullet point the
following

* "print $myObject" no longer works implicitly.
You will need to define a "__toString()" method to any class which you
wish to print directly.  See below the section on __toString() for more
details.

This would save people (like me) who are looking for the
answer/solution to this problem a lot of time.  The problem is not
noticed by people having a "__toString()" method, and so the info about
"__toString()" does not initially appear relevant.  The description
should relate more directly to the most likely place where such a
problem occurs, i.e. why the "print $myObject" has suddenly stopped
working.

Edit this bug report at http://bugs.php.net/?id=41895&edit=1